10 October 2006

Chivalry is Dead
You have to live the commuting culture to believe it. The other day I noticed that men no longer find it necessary to display their manners (okay, I'm leaving the women out of this for now). At the train station, they are doing some platform work which means that only 1/2 the doors are accessible for boarding the train. When those doors open - look out. It is every man for themselves - there are people literally stomping on toes and pushing others out of the way to get on the damn train. And this includes men pushing women aside. People - it's not like the train is going to leave if you're the last man standing on the platform. And there are plenty of seats. I don't get it.
Then there was the time that I was trying to get out of the parking lot and one buddy decided that he didn't want to let my car in (despite the fact that it was a parking lot and nobody was moving). Little did he know that I have lived in the big city and was confidently aggressive enough to - gosh - go in front of him. He leaned on his horn (in front of the other 40 cars trying to get out) and then felt the need to pull up beside me, get his female passenger to roll down her window and then scream unbelievable profanities at me. It didn't seem to calm him down when I laughed at him. The rage was unbelievable. If I were that woman sitting in the car with him, I would seriously reconsider my choice of partner.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sally T. said...

Don't get me started. I just holler at people now (sometimes I say, "be nice" and sometimes, "nice manners") and warn my kids that if they grow up into rude adults that I'll be really disappointed.

3:31 pm

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home