13 October 2006

Friday confessions
There are many things that I don't understand about relationships. I am forever trying to figure out why it is that I'm alone, but I also find myself looking at some relationships around me and wonder why these 2 people are together. Am I just being cynical if I say that there aren't a lot of positive role models for good relationships out there? I know couples who stay together for the kids (not doing them any favours - I'm a product of that mentality), I know partners who cheat on each other, I know wives who "look the other way" for a variety of things (affairs, drug addictions, alcoholism, etc) just so they can have a husband and a comfortable life, and I've even had women tell me how much they hate their husband but would never leave because they like their big house.
My thoughts? Life is too short. Don't be with somebody that you don't want to be with. Don't hide from the ugly, painful things in life. Get to know yourself and stop blaming the other person. Be brave. Communicate. If "okay" is good enough, then so be it - but doesn't the other person deserve to know what you're thinking?
Having said all this, I do believe that relationships require a lot of hard work. And happiness is not a realistic expectation to have every day. I've had my share of bad relationships, but I've also had some really great ones and have to take responsibility for the fact that I have completely blown it with some really great men. I have a friend who has discovered the qualities that he needs in a relationship - he summed it up in 2 words: fun and exploration. He then asked me how I would sum up what I need .... hmmm ..... I thought it would be easy to answer this on the spot. Having given it some thought, I think that I need exploration for sure (sorry to borrow your word C), passion (embrace the good and the bad), and self-awareness (so everyone can stop dumping their "stuff" on the other person).
What do you need?

2 Comments:

Blogger Sally T. said...

I also need someone who laughs at my jokes...it's totally stupid, but totally important to me.

Loved this post; it was an affirmation of my choice to be with M. because it was for all the right reasons.

3:35 pm

 
Blogger Nat said...

I can relate to everything you said there Marta! I tend to agree with you that most people are in relationships for reasons that have NOTHING to do with love. Relationships are hard work once you get there. Its even harder to find one person who is at the stage of their life to start a relationship with you. I've become settled in my non-relationship life. My parents split up when I was five. They didn't stick out for the kids. But because hee left us, made me a by-product of '"YES I can fix them, if you give me a chance". It all folds back to my role model---no matter how impossible he may seem...somehow I can fix him. NOt possible. Don't want to be a love mechanic. Oh yes, I am appreciated and remembered with affection by these partners...forever. Who else gives them so much forgiveness for nothing. Now I am onto myself, and FINALLY realize that I'm not the fix it shop. It's time to to be serious about life, its short, don't waste my times on impossinble men. I've let it go..and I am very content with my heart and life. If and when I find myself attracted to start another relationship, I won't be fixing it...I'll be enjoying it!

9:59 am

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home