24 January 2007



Jumping Pens and other News from the Canadian Championships

Last week I was in Halifax for the Canadian Figure Skating Championships. I'm still a freak for the skating, although I can't stomach Dance anymore (cheese galore). The skating was fabulous, but it's what goes on behind the scenes that rivals any soap opera. Seen and heard:

  1. When Emanuel Sandhu took to the ice for his short program in the pictured outfit, the skaters sitting behind me said "hey look at the (expletive) hi-lighter on the ice!"
  2. The ex-Canadian champions in pairs, Valerie and Craig, came in 2nd this year and seemed off all week. They didn't even look at each other during their warm ups. Apparently these two used to be an item off the ice as well, but no longer. And Craig decided to bring his new (and beautiful) girlfriend to the competition which ticked off Ms Valerie (who, I hate to say it, is lacking in the looks department). Ouch.
  3. I have it on good authority (my friend J was one of the judges) that one of the skaters was thrown in jail overnight for being too rowdy and drunk at the bar. Right now I am just trying to picture what a drunk figure skater looks like ....
  4. Big controversy with the men's rankings after the short program .... the guy who came in 4th threw a hissy fit because he thought that he should have been 3rd (the placing of the hi-lighter, btw). Apparently the judges had some 'splainin to do .....

I just love some good skating gossip!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sally T. said...

I was drinking with Kurt Browning, Michael Slipchuk and Lloyd Eisler in Toronto one night (at Wayne Gretzky's sports bar); a Bombshelter staff road trip, if I remember correctly.

Boy, are men's figure skaters short!

Sounds like a fun adventure, Marta :)

10:21 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you get the dirt I don't! I guess I have to actually call J to get the scoop.

Wow, clowngirl mentioned the Bombshelter - that was a blast from the past. Never was there a darker, cozier escape from the toils of Chem Eng at Waterloo - God bless that place :)

9:27 am

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home