9 September 2007

The Power of Now

I'm reading a new book called "The Power of Now". The premise of the book is that we (human beings) think too much and this is the cause of so many problems. We need to shut our minds down and just live in the moment. Because when you're thinking a lot - what are you usually thinking about? The past or the future. And this prevents you from being in the present.

So true. Guilty. I obsess WAY too much, and it's always about things that have happened or that might happen. This past week the number of times that I've been up at 4:30am is just plain stupid, and I'm up because I wake up and can't shut my brain off. And it's funny, because whenever I talk to people at work about how things are going, they immediately jump in with "I've got so much to do", or "I'm thinking about all the stuff that I haven't done yet", etc. All worries about the future. So I've been mentioning the Power of Now, and my fellow co-workers have been so receptive. To the point where I have people telling me that they're coming to see me whenever they need a pep talk! Who'd have thought that would ever happen?!?

You know those people who always seem to be happy and just thoroughly enjoying every moment? I'm thinking that they don't spend too much time worrying about what has happened in the past or what may happen in the future. They're grounded in the moment. What a nice place to be. I'm going to strive for that this term as I'm teaching. And maybe it will spill over into my personal life .... I could use that right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home