30 March 2007

A Man named Flake
Let me tell you a story about a man named Flake. I first met said man in February - the result of an on-line wink and a smile that led to a date. We seemingly hit it off, and Flake was interested in pursuing my company further (please note that Flake really wasn't a flake at this point, or so it seemed .....). So Flake and I kept in touch, emailed often, I had surgery, recuperated, and then we tried to get together again. Due to prior commitments on both my part and Flake's, we didn't manage to get together as we had hoped at the beginning of March, but then Flake sent me an invitation to a St Paddy's party at his house. Odd ..... we've only been out on one date ..... I verified with Flake that this was no accident - he sent me the invite on purpose to see me again and to show me the extensive renovations that he made to his house.

So I convinced my friend J to come along to this St Paddy's day party as my buffer - truth is that she knows the guy from university. We get to the party, and Flake has just started the Irish sing-along at which he must play the piano for the next hour whilst drunken folk sing good old St Paddy's songs. J and I mix and mingle, drink, and merrily strike up a conversation with a lovely couple who live down the street from me. Throughout the next couple of hours, Flake approached me often and says that he will come talk as soon as he gets a chance. Hmmm ... looking nervous. J also notices a woman that she knew years ago as said woman was dating J's roommate. We'll call this woman Stringbean as she was rather tall and thin. We end up flopped on the sofa with Stringbean, and this is where it gets interesting.

Stringbean is an odd woman. She mentioned things like "co-hosting" the party that evening, and about "furnishing at least 1/2 of Flake's house", and Flake this, and Flake that. What the? I finally turned to my friend J, very perplexed, and asked her if she's getting the same picture as I was - that Stringbean and Flake are dating. Her response - "well Stringbean certainly thinks that they are".

Let me interject with one point - I specifically asked Flake when we met if he was either (a) married (because you'd be surprised), or (b) had a girlfriend. Answer = no to both.

When Flake finally met up with the now 3 of us, he sat beside me, and talked to me, and told me that he would call, and thanked me for coming to the party. Whatever Flake. Do you think that I've heard from him since - email, phone call, or otherwise?

What a Flake.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap Marta
This is bizarre....
Tara

4:21 pm

 
Blogger Sally T. said...

omg Marta! I'm not laughing at your expense, but girl, THAT was a funny post!

You are a natural born storyteller. And kudos to you for finding a flake, and brushing it from your shirt to the floor (where it belongs).

5:04 pm

 
Blogger Marta said...

You want to know what's weird Sal? Here's the dictionary definition of me (yes, it's true) according to Quiz Galaxy: Marta Exxxx --[noun]: A master of storytelling.

8:55 pm

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home