28 October 2007

The 100 Club

I did it! Last weekend I did a 100km bike ride. More than 5 hours on my bike, 4 climbs up the escarpment, a strong headwind coming home, and an unsavoury time of the month (if you know what I'm sayin') .... and I still did it. Had a serious bonking about 40km from home - even put my head on my handle bars and had a good cry - but I pushed through the agony and found my second wind (actually it was probably my third or fourth wind by that point). For all you non-cyclists, bonking is a term used to describe a cyclist hitting the wall - running out of all energy, physical and mental. You literally feel like every cell in your body has shut down and that you are completely out of energy. It's really defeating, especially when you know that you're far from home and only your legs can get you back there.

2 Comments:

Blogger vancouver said...

AMAZING!!! Well done, girl! I did a 50 mile WWF event years ago, and to this day it is one of my proudest moments. But 100km, THAT is fantastic...

12:45 pm

 
Blogger Sally T. said...

Way to go, Marta! I sit on the seat and bonk so I know how hard you just worked to get that. Awesome.

1:10 pm

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home