14 October 2007

Speak your mind .... as long as I agree with it

I'm bothered by something. Rude people who decide that they are going to ignore me just because they don't like what I have to say. I've been trying not to dwell on the fact that ever since I told Flake that I wouldn't date him, he is ignoring my emails. I did a lot of work for his Green campaign, and I was lucky to get a "thanks" out of him. I decided to boycott the election night party, but I sent a congratulatory email the next day (Thursday). Do you think that he's even acknowledged that? He's the one with the relationship issues - I thought that he'd be over the moon that friendship is the only option with me.

I find that there are all sorts of people out there who talk about how "honest" they are. And how much they like "honesty". And I'm one of those people who tries to speak the truth (notice that I said tries). I'm the person who says what everybody else is thinking .... and it gets me in trouble sometimes. Our Canadian culture is weird - we're too scared to say certain things for fear of offending someone. Geez - if it's in your head, then just get it out there! So what if you're not popular by speaking up! Doesn't talking about what is truly on your mind create less confusion and misinterpretation? I don't get it. Some people love how forthright I am, and some people are offended - I know that I've offended certain people who read my blog from time to time. Your problem, not mine. (And I've probably just offended someone by saying that ...)

I realize that sometimes its not the message, but the way you say it. I can be blunt, but I don't think that I'm hurtful. And when it really comes down to it, I've spent the last 6 weeks NOT saying things to Flake because of the stress that he was dealing with on account of the campaign. It was always fine for Flake to dish out the bluntness, but I found myself apologizing far too often when I returned it. Logically, I know that his ego is hurt (this is a guy who is used to women just waiting for him to pay attention to them), and I know that he has lots of distractions to keep him busy. But gosh it sucks to be ignored.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's important to remember that point in others too, when they may say things I don't agree with. I try to respect all opinions, but if they refer to me at all, I get to be judgemental since they don't have a clue half the time who or what they are talking about!

Keep speaking your mind, if you don't care about repercussions, then at least everyone will know where you stand. The ones who give you a hassle don't have the wherewithal to believe in themselves and your ideas threaten them. I could be in that group, but fighting desperately to become one of the strong like you!

11:10 pm

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home