25 February 2007


Disconnected

I've been spending a lot of time looking through nature magazines and daydreaming about all the wonderful places that I'd like to visit in Canada. Usually my dreams involve places that are very remote - there is so much untouched land in Canada that it truly is amazing. I thought about taking the boys on a drive through Alberta to the Yukon this summer, but unfortunately it looks like I can't afford it. I'd also love to visit Nunavut, see the polar bears in Churchill, and become lost in the Rockies at winter. One of the best magazines is Canadian Geographic. They have a special travel issue that had an article about a resort in the Purcell Mountains just outside of Golden BC (check out the picture!). They get 10 m of snow annually - yes, that's metres. The resort is so remote that you have to take a helicopter in and then you can spend glorious days snowshoeing or skiing in the mountains and sitting by the fire with some nice red wine and a good book in the evening. So my goal is to find somebody that would like to take me there (and, more importantly, that I would like to take me there).


I'm feeling very disconnected with the earth right now. I'm not happy with my job, my health isn't the best, and I get really tired of my loner status. Living in southern Ontario can suck, especially in the winter when everyone is out in their SUVs driving to get their grande Starbucks and there is just an overall cranky mood in the air. I don't spend nearly enough time outside when the weather is cold and gray. I hate being surrounded by buildings and pavement and cars .... I've always said that I'm going to retire somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the mountains one day. If I could think of a career that would take me away from all of this fast-paced crap, then I'd do it in a second.


For now, I'll just have to look at my magazines and dream .....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home